Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Self-Reflection

Well, if I had to rate myself on my physical well-being, my spiritual well-being, and my psychological well-being I would do so as the following:

My physical well-being would be about an 8. I say an 8 because there is always room for improvement. I've done some great things with my physical well-being but there is so much more I want to do and explore. I've played it safe so far, but I want so bad to try cross-fit. There is always something more one can do to improve their physical well-being.

My spiritual well-being would be about an 8. I say this because I am very spiritually grounded and when things seem to go bad, I always turn to prayer and my spiritual strength to pull me through whatever the situation is. I truly believe that there is a power out there greater than myself and though I can't see it, I can feel it around me at all times. I will say that I want to get more involved in church. I used to be one of those who watched church service from home every Sunday, especially while helping my mom take care of my grandmother but now I believe it is time I get back to going on a regular basis. My grandma would be so pleased.

My psychological well-being would be about a 7. I say this because at the age of 37 I believe I have surpassed those moments where I feel like I'm losing my mind over another person and what they are doing (or not doing). I believe I am in a place where I can do self-reflection and pinpoint those things that have brought me to a not so great space and bring myself out of it. I believe your psychological well-being has to be intact in order to be self-reflective. I have not yet reached a point where my career well-being is at a 10 because I am in the process of gaining my degree in the field that I want to work in for the rest of my life. The closer I get to reaching that goal, the higher I will rate my psychological well-being. I want to become a bit more social than I am right now. Since your social well-being is a part of your overall psychological well-being, getting out there in the world and becoming more social will only help me in my career goals in the health and wellness field.

The goals I have set for myself are as follows:
Physical well-being: Lose these last 10-15 pounds
Spiritual well-being: Becoming more familiar with The Bible
Psychological well-being: Becoming more socially comfortable for my career

The activities or exercises I can implement in my life to assist in moving towards each goal are as follows:
Physical well-being: Join cross fit
Spiritual well-being: Go to church every Sunday morning
Psychological well-being: Gaining my certification in personal training which would get me more comfortable with being more social

After listening to the relaxation exercise "Crime of the Century" I can say that my level of calm was no more than it was when I started the exercise. I say this because I was so focused on the name of the exercise that I had determined in my mind that there was going to be great excitement in this exercise, event though I knew it was a relaxation exercise. I thought, by chance, that due to the excitement I was expecting, there was going to be an exercise to bring the mind and body back down to calm. What I ended up doing instead was visualizing things that were spoken about in the exercise like seeing my heart pump blood and beat at a normal rate, the orange that I could see through that space that was right below my belly button. I imagined seeing the color orange and smelling an orange as well. This would probably serve as a way to give myself energy more than relax. Overall, I thought it was a decent exercise. The background music was very relaxing as well as the voice on the exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Sherese,
    Great blog post! I really enjoyed the relaxation clip. For me though, imagining and picturing things happening to me is pretty difficualt. I can be such a realist sometimes. If it's not readily in front of me, why bother? I ended up falling asleep during the exercise haha! But I was very relaxed!

    ReplyDelete