Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Fostering Mental Fitness


I must say the practice sessions have gone pretty good for me. If I had to choose two practices that were the most beneficial to me I would definitely choose the Loving Kindness and the Visualization. The Loving Kindness practice because like anyone else, I tend to get caught up in what is going wrong in my life and dwelling on it far too long. The Loving Kindness practice session helped me to focus on others whose situation is a little less ideal than my own situation. I believe when we get bogged down by those things we see as being terrible in our own lives the focus tends to be all negative. If I continue to adjust my thought pattern to someone who maybe isn’t able to make their own decision or who is no longer here on earth when I’m feeling a bit self-loathing I believe I will see the brighter side of my situations. This practice will help me to keep the negative thoughts out and continue to be positive, thus fostering my mental fitness.

The Visualization practice because this type of practice allows me to take my mind to a time and place that is perhaps better than the current state I am in at that moment. When I feel I need just a minute to calm my brain activity and relax a bit I always visualize the beach in Jamaica where I went on my honeymoon. During that time in my life I was venturing in new territory being married and it was a bit scary yet I was so excited and anxious to embark on that new journey. This brings me a sense of calm because I can remember the soothing waters of the ocean and just how clean and clear the water was. I visualize seeing my reflection in those clear waters and it makes me relaxed and calm. It takes me back to a time when the toils and troubles of life had not yet set in completely and I was still a bit more carefree in life. This is definitely a way to foster mental fitness because it helps me to self-heal and bring my mind to a state of calm quickly.
I will definitely continue to use practices like these and methods of meditation to foster my mental health in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment