Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Loving Kindness and Integral Assessment

Boy oh boy! This exercise this week was a bit hard for me. I've typed this response on several occasions and just have not been able to get through it without breaking down. It made me think of the last time I talked to my father before he died. I'd always had a very close relationship with my father even though he was not living in the same household as I was. As I grew older our relationship slowly started slipping away. Even though we did not see each other as much we did still talk on a regular basis. The week before he died I had planned to make a trip to Arkansas (his hometown) with him for Christmas but my grandmother became ill and I couldn't go. He still went and he was still trying to get me to catch a later flight there but I didn't want to leave my grandmother while she was in the hospital. Two days later and one week before Christmas in 2009 he suddenly died with no indication to anyone that he was not feeling well. This meditation made me think of the last time I talked to him and how rushed the conversation was because I was at work. I wish on a daily basis that I could hear his voice again. This also made me think about others who have lost a parent/parents and who probably go through the exact same thing I was going through at this very moment. I don't feel that anyone is undeserving of love and though I know there are people who don't always get along with their parents, I realize that there was not a day that went by that I did not show and tell both of my parents how much I loved them except that last conversation I had with my father. Time is too valuable to waste on having ill feelings towards a parent. Now that I only have one living parent I do as much as I can for her and I talk to her and tell her on a daily basis how much she is loved. There is no reason whatsoever to ever allow my mind, body, or spirit to have ill feelings towards anyone because I know just how much it hurts to know that the very last time I spoke to my dad I didn't tell him that I loved him.

Doing this exercise and assessment made me discover that I have a need that is pulling at my subconscious to be more spiritual. I have not been to church in a while and I don't attend services on a regular basis, mainly because of work. I have chosen the spiritual area of my life to be the focus of growth and development. I've said it before and I will say it again; I need to get back to church. This is the time when I need to re-evaluate everything in my life and do some adjusting so that I can start back to going to church. Other than going to church I can pray and meditate a bit more. Increased spirituality will help to foster greater wellness for me.

6 comments:

  1. I can relate to your experience with the "loving kindness" meditation as I lost my father 4 yrs ago and he is the first one that comes to mind and I picture when doing this exercise. Hopefully you can get past the sadness and feel his love. Getting in touch with my spirituality still helps me in those difficult times as you mentioned. Hopefully you can find a way to bring it back into your life and experience those same feelings of peace and comfort. I look forward to hearing about your next steps & wishing you only beautiful memories of your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your response Lynne. My spirituality definitely helps me through the rough times because I know my dad, along with other members of my family who have passed on, are all in heaven watching over me. I always say my mom is my earth angel and my dad, grandmother, and sister are my angels in heaven.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for your loss, but do love the story that you just told and your emotions are beautiful! Thank you for sharing this very private moment with everyone!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Ann. I find it so much healthier for me to be able to share my experience when dealing with my dad's death. I hope that anyone who gets the opportunity to hear my story who does not have the greatest relationship with their parent(s) will take my words and experience and use it to mend those relationships. Give them their flowers while they are here on earth with you so they always know the love for them is unconditional.

      Delete
  3. Reading your story brought back fond memories of my father... He passed away in 2007, two weeks before he came to live with me and my husband for good. He was so excited the last time I talked to him... He did live with us for 18 months a couple of years prior. He knew we loved him even when it wasn't spoken.
    You sound like a great person and I believe that your father knows how much you loved him. I am sure he is looking down to you with a big and proud smile on his face.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Browny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assie,

    Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I definitely know that my dad knew I loved him and I continue to cherish those memories I have of us together. I hope you are doing the same when it comes to your dad!

    ReplyDelete